Day 9: Nakasendo Trail



 My morning started with a lovely Japanese breakfast buffet, filled with rice and grilled salmon, fruits and veggies, and all sorts of other things that I had no clue what I was eating. Some were delicious, and others were not for me, but I'm glad I tried almost everything. It's interesting to just see what is considered breakfast here and have the opportunity to try it.


I took the bus a short way to the town of Magome. Magome is a stop on the Nakasendo trail. During the 1600s, travelers between Tokyo and Kyoto would stop at post towns along their route to rest and refuel, especially as they crossed the steep mountains, this is the Nakasendo trail. Magome and Tsumago (another town I visited today) are towns that occured along it and have been preserved and recreated to be authentic Edo period towns. The narrow cobblestone roads through the towns are lined with small shops and cafes. Between the towns are dirt and cobblestone paths visiting waterfalls and following the crystal clear river. It was a gorgeous hike. Magome to Tsumago was 7.5km, and then I walked another 3km to the town of Naigo. Along the way I stopped to visit the waterfalls, drink tea in a 400 year old tea house, snacked on fire roasted sweet potatoes, and enjoyed the beauty of the old roads and towns.





















After a nice day of strolling, I got some ice coffee and matcha ice cream before heading back for a rest in the hotel onsen (public bath/hot tub).


Also, incase you were wondering just how narrow these roads are, which cars drive on, super fast, along cliffs, with lots of pedestrians around. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: Tokyo; Institute for Nature Study, Meiji Ginju, Shibuya

Day 1: Tokyo; Gotokuji Temple, good food, and sore feet