Darwin














The train trip ended in Darwin, NT. The northern end of Australia. We settled into our accommodation for a few days. It was really lovely to spend a few days with all of us in one house together. It was so nice to visit a variety places around town, but also to spend time in the backyard with our feet in the pool watching birds and chatting. In the remaining days of my time hanging with the family I enjoyed exploring Darwin a bit.

As always visiting a botanic garden is the top of my list and the Darwin garden didn't disappoint. It had a beautiful orchid and epiphyte house, as well as, nice rainforest gardens. I love how the botanic gardens in Australia are free and well taken care of. They are always fun to explore and I am always happy for a calm and relaxing place to walk about. In evening we went to the harbor for a sunset cruise, included as part of the train trip. Overall, the buffet was a bit underwhelming, but I did enjoy sitting on the deck and watching the sunset over the harbor and enjoying the breezy warm air off the sea. 

The next day we went to eastpoint and visited a really cool mangrove boardwalk. We visited at low tide and I marveled at the many species of mangrove trees. I read that there are 32 species in the Darwin area, which is absolutely insane to me. Florida only has 3 species. At the end of the boardwalk we watch for birds and saw lots of interesting critters, from an iridescent Shining Flycatcher to the Lemon-bellied Flyrobin it was great spotting the birds. Additionally we lots some bright crabs, crayfish, limpits, and other tidal life. Later that evening we returned for high tide and it was so cool to see the difference. The clear turquoise water filled between the mangrove roots and small fish darted between them. I also some some large mullet between the roots. The platform which earlier in the day we stood and looked out on the far away shore, 6 ft above the sand, now stood inches under water at the top. The drastic changes were so interesting to behold. We then headed out to the Mindil Beach sunset market where we were greeted with rows and rows of food trucks with delicious looking treats. We spent time tasting many of the options as the sun set over the ocean with a crimson sky. 

The next morning Dean and Jenny headed home and I was sad for the departing of family to begin. The rest of us headed to Fogg Dam Conservation Reserve where we battled vociferous mosquitoes to see some beautiful sights. We overlooked fields of lotus and waterlilies, as well as, observing many varieties of waterfowl. We saw broglas in the distance, as well as many magpie geese, herons, whistling ducks, and other birds. In the evening we went for African tapas as our last dinner together.

The next morning we packed up and got a delicious breakfast before I went with everyone to the airport. I relished in the final moments with them spending time hanging at the airport before the departed back to the States. It was a really wonderful trip and I was so happy to get to travel with everyone for a few weeks. I loved getting to spend time and show them around Australia a bit and I'm very sad to see them leave. Spending time with my family more than anything sends me into a longing to return to the states, really the main thing that really draws me back. Living this far from them is hard, even when I'm having the absolute best times. I'm so grateful to have gotten to spend the last three weeks with them and I'm looking forward to the next time I see them already. I don't know when it will be or where, but I anticipate it nonetheless. I'm looking forward to my many new adventures to come. I am not longer traveling with my own personal comedy show, and now will have to return to self entertainment. I will miss the laughs, the good natured eye rolls, the chaos, and of course the love. More good things are to come though, and that I'm sure of.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: Tokyo; Institute for Nature Study, Meiji Ginju, Shibuya

Maria Island

Hobart, Hartz NP, and Southern NP