Kennedy Range NP

 Leaving Coral Bay, I headed to Canarvon where I stopped for fuel and snacks. I went to a coffee shop and had a grilled banana bread topped with yogurt and honey which was terrific, and picked up a pork bun and some bread from the bakery. In the northwest most bakeries seem to be run by Vietnamese people which is amazing. They have typical Aussie pastries and pies, but also have take away bahn mi, sushi, chicken satay, and stir fries. On the occasion I buy myself a meal, it’s often a nice snack from these bakeries. 


I stopped at a few veggie farms as I headed east towards Kennedy Range NP. I got advice from the local information office before heading out into the bush for a few days. 


The road from town was long and bumpy, but the destination was stunning. Kennedy range reminds me a lot of Zion. Iron rich red cliffs form around dry river valleys. You can see in the stone the ebbs and flow of the river. Way above my stood tall cliffs and I could just make out a wedge tail eagle landing on the top with the sun bright behind it. I walked a short trail as the sun set and was met with so many beautiful views before making my way back to tent. 


The campground was pleasant. Without cell service and with a shared fire area the campground was quite social. As the sun set I had a number of lovely conversations with other campers, but quickly retired to my site. Despite the pleasantness I was in the mood for some solitary time, but I quite enjoyed being in the vicinity of social behavior. I sat at my campsite working on some drawings while listening to the gentle hum of half a dozen conversations. I let my attention slide in and out as I overheard snippets of camaraderie. Discussions of different campsites, recent travels, politics, technology, meals, and much more drifted in and out of focus. A woman with a golden honey signing voice tied a tread gently between the conversations with a soft insectile of chorus of crickets, beetles and the like.  Eventually I retired to my tent where I left the windows up watching the stars listening as the conversations dropped off one by one as I drifted off to sleep. 


The next morning I woke up early with the sun and made a big breakfast of garlic beans on toast before hitting the trail. I decided to walk all the trails in the area today totaling about 7 miles. I walked all 4 gorges and to the top of the escarpment. It was a quiet and peaceful day. I took long breaks in the shade where I drew and just enjoyed the peace and quiet. Not having cell service for a couple days is really wonderful for my creativity. There are so many less distractions and I since I can’t work I don’t make myself feel guilty for indulging in creativity for a while. Spending a few days sans-cell service is so good for a break cause I really get to enjoy myself without feeling that there are all these things I should be doing instead. 


By mid-day it was quite hot and I returned to camp. I doused myself in water and lay in the shade of my tent listening to music and bird calls while the hottest part of the day passed by. I made sun tea and enjoyed the peace. As the sun got low in the sky I continued on to my final walk where I saw the honey comb gorge. It’s named for the circular indents in the rock face that makes it look like a big honey comb. Many were filled with small pebbles and rocks and some housed birds. It was a really spectacular sight the probably 100ft red rock wall filled with holes and pockets. 


In the evening I sat by the communal fire and chatted with some other travelers into the evening before heading to bed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: Tokyo; Institute for Nature Study, Meiji Ginju, Shibuya

Maria Island

Hobart, Hartz NP, and Southern NP